Northshore School District
It’s time to put on your thinking cap and help Northshore School District name the new comprehensive high school slated to open in the fall of 2017. The 9-12 high school will be built, using funds from the February 2014 bond measure, on a 66-acre parcel of land located off 35th Avenue between 188th and 192nd Streets SE, directly north and northwest of Fernwood Elementary School.
An online survey has been launched for students, parents, community members and staff to tell the district what the new high school should be named and why. The online survey will run until April 30. Criteria for the new high school name are listed below:
• Shall be known and significant to the community and district
• Shall represent/signify a geographic area of the community or have a significant historic reference to the community (e.g. land, historic site/place related to local
area or Pacific Northwest history)
• Will not use personal names of individuals (living or deceased)
• Will not use names of any current schools in the district or surrounding districts
Results from the survey will be forwarded to the district’s High School Grade Reconfiguration Task Force, which will narrow the list down to six to eight names using the following criteria:
• There are representative choices for both geographic and historic significance to area
• Clear rationale is provided for each choice
• Number of times a name and rationale are nominated
The district will then launch a second online survey between May and August for students, parents, community members and staff to choose their top three names from the refined list of six to eight names selected by the High School Grade Reconfiguration Task Force.