Community

Firefighters extinguish Bothell home fire

At 8:30 a.m. Jan. 6, crews from Bothell Fire and EMS along with the Northshore and Shoreline fire departments responded to a residential structure fire located at 1414 226th Place S.W. in the Snohomish County Fire Protection District #10 area of Bothell.

Upon arrival, firefighters found smoke and flames visible from the back side of the house. According to Bothell Fire and EMS spokesperson Lisa Allen, firefighters extinguished the fire quickly.

Allen added that the home’s resident was evacuated safely, and 911 was called immediately. The homeowner woke up when a neighbor knocked on her door to alert her to the smoke and flames visible from the back of her home.

Early damage assessments are estimated at $50,000. Allen said the fire was caused by unattended cooking on a propane stove on the back porch.

According to Allen, cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and home-fire injuries. She advises people stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling or broiling food and if they do leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Nov 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates