Sprinkler credited with dousing Kenmore Village fire
February 2, 2011 · Updated 2:33 PM
The Northshore Fire Department responded at 10:41 a.m., Feb. 1 to a structure fire at the European Deli inside the largely deserted Kenmore Village Shopping Center.
The fire department was notified by the alarm company that monitors the fire sprinkler system in the building.
According to a department press release, on arrival, firefighters entered the deli where a fire sprinkler head had activated. They discovered that the fire had originated in an area above the ceiling and had been extinguished by the single sprinkler head.
“If not for the presence of the sprinkler system this fire would have caused significant damage to the building,” said Fire Marshal Jeff LaFlam.
There were no injuries reported. Damage to the building was estimated at $3,000; damage to the contents has not yet been calculated. The fire was determined to be accidental, reportedly caused by an extension cord that was routed up through a suspended ceiling grid. The fire department strongly urged residents and business owners to avoid using extension cords in place of permanent wiring and to never extend cords through walls, ceilings or doorways.