Bothell house fire causes $150,000 in damage, minor injuries
By MATT PHELPS
Bothell Reporter Regional Assistant Editor
January 28, 2013 · 4:34 PM
Fire crews from four separate departments responded to a residential structure fire in Bothell at approximately 11 p.m. Sunday night.
A female homeowner sustained minor injuries but was able to get out of the house prior to crews arriving. There were no reports of injuries to firefighters.
Crews from the City of Bothell Fire and E.M.S., Northshore Fire Department, Woodinville Fire and Rescue and Snohomish County Fire District No. 7 found smoke and flames visible upon arrival at the home, located at 3333 228th Street S.E.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire quickly. The single-family residence sustained extensive damage, estimated to be at least $150,000.
The cause of the fire was determined to be inappropriate disposal of smoking materials near oxygen equipment.
“Cigarettes and oxygen tanks are a very dangerous combination,” said City of Bothell Fire Marshal Frank Shasky, whose office is conducting the investigation. “As more and more people are bringing oxygen tanks into their homes, it is so important to understand the serious fire risks of smoking near these highly flammable devices.”
The City of Bothell Fire and E.M.S. strongly urges everyone to practice home escape routes frequently and identify a meeting place outside. Additionally, practice crawling low to the ground when escaping a fire. The number one killer in residential fires is smoke inhalation.
Bothell Fire officials urge all families to protect themselves by having several working smoke alarms installed in the home and check the batteries at least twice a year.
This is the second house fire in Bothell during the past week. Last Tuesday a family was forced from their home, which sustained $50,000 in damage. Two cars were also destroyed in that incident. No one was injured.
Contact Bothell Reporter Regional Assistant Editor Matt Phelps at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-425-483-3732 (ext 5050).