Fire in Kenmore displaces 13 member family, pets
By MATT PHELPS
Bothell Reporter Regional Assistant Editor
March 20, 2013 · 1:41 PM
A large Kenmore family will have to find temporary housing after a fire on the outside of their home spread to the attic Tuesday. Everyone was able to escape without injury, despite the fact that the Northshore Fire Department says that the structure had no working smoke detectors.
The Northshore Fire Department received the call at 5:39 p.m. and was dispatched to the home located in the 16500 block of 74th Avenue N.E.
Thirteen family members, along with several pets, were home at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported.
"On arrival the responding crew saw light smoke coming from the rear of the home," said Northshore Fire Department spokesperson Wendy Booth.
"The occupant stated that a few of the children were outside playing near the gas water heater and a 4 year old was trying to light birthday candles by using the pilot light."
An adult saw the child and attempted to put out the fire with water but it spread to the attic.
The damage was limited to the exterior and attic. The occupants of the home have been displaced but Red Cross was on scene to help with any shelter, clothing and food needs.
The Northshore Fire Department has ruled the fire as an accident.
The Northshore firefighters were assisted by personnel from the Bothell, Kirkland and Shoreline Fire Departments.
"It’s important for every home to have working smoke alarms," said Booth. "Parents should work towards
educating young children about the dangers of not only matches and lighters, but all potential ignition sources."Contact Bothell Reporter Regional Assistant Editor Matt Phelps at email@example.com or 1-425-483-3732 (ext 5050).