Bothell Fire helps respond to fourplex fire in Lynnwood

Bothell firefighters helped respond and put out this apartment fire in Lynnwood Thursday morning.  - Contributed photo
Bothell firefighters helped respond and put out this apartment fire in Lynnwood Thursday morning.
— image credit: Contributed photo

A fire at a fourplex in Alderwood Manor this morning injured one man and displaced 14 residents.

Dispatchers received multiple calls at 11:40 a.m. reporting smoke and flames coming from the two-story, four-unit building in 20400 block of 28th Ave. W in unincorporated south Snohomish County east of Lynnwood. The Bothell Fire Department also helped respond to the fire.

“Firefighters treated a man who was exposed to smoke and flames. He was transported by medic unit to Swedish/Edmonds Hospital. His injuries did not appear to be life-threatening,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1. “Five people safely exited the burning building.”

The Snohomish County Fire Marshal's Office has determined it was an accidental fire. The man who was injured was working in the garage of the fourplex when he stumbled and spilled gasoline. A heat source in the garage then ignited the gasoline fumes. The injured man rented the garage in the fourplex and lives in a neighboring apartment building.

Smoke was visible as firefighters approached the scene. The first crew to arrive quickly called for a second alarm to bring in more resources to contain the flames, which had already engulfed the back wall of two units. About 40 firefighters from Fire District 1, Lynnwood and Bothell were on the scene at the peak of the fire. They had the fire under control within 20 minutes, but remained on the scene throughout the afternoon dealing with hot spots.

The fire caused heavy damage to two of the four units. Other units had smoke damage. All four units are uninhabitable as a result of the fire. A total of 14 residents – including six children – have been displaced. Support 7 and Red Cross are providing assistance. None of the residents had insurance.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates