- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Major road closures and events dovetail this weekend including 520
The following is a release from the Washington State Department of Transportation:
A busy weekend of road work begins tonight, June 20 at 10 p.m. with a northbound closure of State Route 99, followed quickly by a full closure of State Route 520 at 11 p.m. There are also closures planned for the Interstate 90 express lanes to accommodate the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon and for northbound Interstate 5 to prepare for expansion joint replacement. The Fremont Fair is also underway this weekend.
- Crews will close all lanes of SR 520 from Montlake Boulevard to Interstate 405 at 11 p.m. tonight, June 20, including all connecting ramps in the work area.
- Crews will use the closure to continue pouring concrete for the roadway deck on the new West Connection Bridge. In addition, crews will place up to 10,000 tons of asphalt for the new eastbound SR 520 lanes as part of the Eastside Transit and HOV Project.
- All lanes are scheduled to reopen at 5 a.m. Monday, June 23.
- Travelers who use I-90 to cross Lake Washington should be aware of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon on Saturday.
- The express lanes on I-90 will be closed from 3 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 21 to accommodate the estimated 25,000 runners participating in the marathon.
- All lanes of northbound SR 99 will be closed from 10 p.m. tonight, June 20 from South Spokane Street to the south end of the Battery Street Tunnel.
- At 4 p.m. Saturday, June 21, crews will also close northbound SR 99 between the south end of the Battery Street Tunnel and Valley Street. A single southbound lane between Republican and Thomas streets will also be closed at that time.
- When all lanes reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, June 23, drivers will notice a traffic shift in SR 99 near the stadiums to make room for new construction work on the roads that will lead into and out of the SR 99 tunnel.
- Up to three lanes of northbound I-5 at Spokane Street will close June 21 to June 22. Crews will begin closing lanes at 7 p.m. Saturday. All lanes will reopen by 11 a.m. Sunday.
- During the closure, temporary striping will be placed in preparation for the final week of expansion-joint replacement scheduled for the weekend of June 27-30.