Bothell woman dies from stab wounds

What began as a case of assault turned into a homicide investigation after a Bothell woman died May 4, more than two weeks after suffering stab wounds at her home, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office.

According to the Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office, Gloria Studdard, 60, died of complications related to stab wounds to her chest and the death officially has been ruled a homicide.

Sheriff's office Public Information Officer Rebecca Hover said Studdard's son, whom she added does not share his mother's last name, was arrested April 18, the same day Studdard allegedly was attacked. He was booked on a charge of assault, with specifications of domestic violence involving a weapon. Hover declined to release the suspect's name, but a check of jail records showed revealed his name as David Harold Coffin, 28. He was still in jail as of May 6 awaiting a $100,000 bond.

Hover said she could not comment on any additional charges that might be filed against Coffin, saying that determination is in the hands of the Snohomish County Prosecutor's Office. As of late last week, the office reported no determination on further charges had been reached.

There is at least one difference in the information coming from the sheriff's office and that from the medical examiner's office. In a press release, Hover said detectives allege the victim was stabbed in the back, while the examiner's office said the wounds were to the victim's chest.

According to Hover, the incident took place at the home the victim shared with her son in the 18600 block of North Road in unincorporated Bothell.

Hover continued that the son was reportedly upset with his mother, although the two of them did not appear to be arguing before the stabbing. The suspect allegedly used a knife found in the kitchen.

Studdard was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle the day of the incident and Hover said she was listed in serious condition. She was released from the hospital April 23 and was recovering at home when Hover said her health suddenly deteriorated May 3. She was taken to Stevens Hospital in Edmonds, then transferred to Harborview where she later died.

"She was home recovering," Hover said. "We didn't expect this, this was really sad."

Beyond what was contained in her press release, Hover did not have any further details on what caused the disagreement between the suspect and his mother. She couldn't say if the suspect was arrested at the home or elsewhere, but noted again that he was arrested the same day as the alleged incident.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates