News

'Gas smell' leads to evacuation of Seattle Times building

Employees reported a gas smell and officials evacuated the Seattle Times printing facility in Bothell at about 6:40 a.m. April 12, according to Bothell Fire Department Public Information Officer Lisa Allen.

Allen said the incident temporarily displaced 76 employees from the plant at 19200 120th Ave. N.E. She said fire officials at first were unable to trace the source of the smell or fumes in the building.

Eventually, officials discovered the battery of a forklift, plugged into an outlet overnight to recharge, had exploded. Allen said that mishap led to the sulphur smell that spread through parts of the building.

Allen added that while a few employees reported feeling ill and suffering from headaches, all also reported recovering once they left the building. She said workers were allowed to reenter the facility at about 7:45 a.m.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Dec 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates