McMenamins in Bothell shuts down pool for safety issue

McMenamins Pool Manager Debra Shelton said her department was already aware of the problem and planning on closing the pool independently. The thick fog created a situation where lifeguards were unable to clearly see the pool.

The pool at McMenamins Anderson School in Bothell is closed until further notice while they install additional ventilation to reduce a thick fog which prompted the pool’s closure earlier this month.

During a Jan. 4 inspection by the King County Public Health Department related to three cases of minor food poisoning, an inspector noticed a thick fog over the pool.

McMenamins Pool Manager Debra Shelton said her department was already aware of the problem and planning on closing the pool independently. The thick fog created a situation where lifeguards were unable to clearly see the pool.

“We’re working with the Health Department to take care of the fog that sets up in our pool area,” she said. “We’re working on a very prompt solution, I know the engineer has already been in.”

The open air skylights in the pool chambers, designed to keep the room from becoming too humid, were drawing in cooler winter air which mixed with the pool’s 90 degree water to create a fog, Shelton said.

“The water is perfect, the chemicals are perfect, it’s just the fog that’s created by our open air skylights,” she said. “We just need better ventilation to get the steam out of there.”

The pool could be reopened in a few weeks, though no specific date was available.

Residents can check the Anderson School website for updates.

When McMenamins purchased the property, they agreed to let Bothell residents use the pool free of charge.

The Health Department was on site Jan. 4 after they received a food-borne illness complaint involving three of four people who ate burgers there on Dec. 29 coming down with minor food poisoning.

An inspection report found several minor foodservice health code violations involving the handling of raw food and hand washing sinks, but not enough to shut down any restaurants.

A follow up inspection is scheduled for next week to ensure the restaurant is following proper health code procedure.

More in News

Kenmore council moves forward with boathouse at Rhododendron Park

City staff presented a two-bay option and a one-bay option for the boathouse to council.

Pollet, Patton face off in 46th district

Candidates for state representative, position 1 answer questions about taxes, guns and more.

Bellevue police chief Mylett exonerated following Bothell investigation

Mylett has been on paid administrative leave since August and has been reinstated.

Suspect spray-paints ‘Strange’ onto Panera Bread | Police blotter

The Bothell police blotter for Oct. 7 through 13.

Metro revises timeline for RapidRide bus expansion

After originally aiming to build 20 additional fast-service bus lines on high demand routes by 2040, King County Metro has changed its construction timelines and put 13 of those projects on hold.

Bothell man charged with insurance fraud

The man was charged after an investigation by the Insurance Commissioner’s Office.

Bothell, Kenmore look at preliminary budgets for next two years

Both are facing challenges with rising costs and insufficient revenues.

Across the state there are 20 cities with more than 15,000 residents that require recycling services. Of these, all but two are in King County, with the remaining two residing in Snohomish County. File photo
Recycling audit shows higher use but increased cost

Cities with embedded recycling service increase rates to cover costs of “free” service

Rape allegation against Sen. Joe Fain divides King County Council

In a recent interview, Councilmember Kathy Lambert blamed Fain’s accuser for the alleged rape. Then Lambert’s colleagues distanced themselves from her comments.

Most Read