- About Us
School zone traffic reminders, tips
The following was released by the city of Kenmore:
School is back in session. Please take a moment to review school zone traffic reminders and tips.
School zones in Kenmore are marked with alternating amber flashing lights and/or “when children are present” speed limit signs. Please remember when the amber flashing lights are operating or children are present the speed limit is reduced to 20 mph. Officers regularly enforce the school zone speed limits. Fines for speeding range from $189 (1-5 mph over) to $784 (35 mph over).
With parents dropping off and picking up their children, the school year can also lead to more traffic congestion in the mornings and afternoons. So be patient, plan accordingly, and remember it's not about getting to your destination as fast as you can but the safety of the children.
Safety tips for school zones:
· Slow down;
· Pay attention while driving - do not be distracted by using electronic devices or cell phones;
· When beacons are flashing or children are present the speed limit is 20 mph;
· Yield the right of way to pedestrians and children getting on and off school buses;
· Remember to be aware of your surrounding while turning or changing lanes;
· Stop completely at all marked intersections;
· Pedestrians should use crosswalks and cross with the crossing sign; and
· Closely supervise your children as they walk to and from a vehicle or school.
Here’s to a safe and memorable school year.