Flood damage on tap for public meeting

Flood damage on tap for public meeting

The city of Kenmore will host a public meeting from 6-8 p.m. Sept. 2 at the Northshore Utility District Office (6830 N.E. 185th St., Kenmore) to discuss the proposed Swamp Creek 2007 flood-damage repairs at Wallace Park and at the 73rd Avenue Northeast Bridge. Discussion topics will include the improvements proposed for construction in September 2008, and what neighbors should expect to see happening along Swamp Creek this fall. The first half of the meeting will focus on the creek near Wallace Park and the second half of the meeting will focus on the creek near the 73rd Avenue Northeast Bridge.

The Swamp Creek 2007 flood-damage repairs include installation of large woody debris, sediment pond dredging and stream-bank restoration. The city has determined that these repairs are necessary due to flood damage caused by the storm events of Dec. 3. They also complete the stream restoration initiated in January of 2008.

The proposed work is designed to enhance bank protection with bioengineered banks and large wood-debris placement.

For information visit

Co-op pre-school hosts open house

Inglemoor Co-op Preschool will host an open house from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 28 at Carl Sandberg Elementary School (12801 84th Ave. N.E., Kirkland). The event is intended for families of children between the ages of 1 and 5. It will include activities and opportunities to meet with staff and other parents. For information, visit

Man gets 15 years for killing infant son

A King County Superior Court judge has sentenced James Robert Stephen of Bothell to 15 years in prison for killing his infant son.

The sentencing occurred Aug. 15. The State Department of Social and Health Services reports that Stephen, 23, had a history of alleged abuse with another child, born to a different woman in 2002.

Prosecutors did not file charges in that case. Stephen was, however, charged with second-degree murder for incidents related to the death of his 5-week-old son, Hayden White, in February. Court documents indicate that Stephen called 9-1-1 Jan. 18 to report that the infant was unconscious and not breathing.

Doctors discovered that the child had injuries associated with babies who have been shaken violently. Stephen initially denied wrongdoing, but later admitted to detectives that he had handled the infant roughly, stating that he was under stress due to financial and relationship issues, according to charging papers.

White died Feb. 6 after being taken off life support.