Kenmore celebrates its parks April 26
The city of Kenmore will host its annual Parks Appreciation Day from 9 a.m. to noon April 26.
The park clean-up celebrates Arbor Day and Earth Day. This year, volunteers will meet at Log Boom Park, Rhododendron Park or Wallace Swamp Creek Park to help pick up debris and disperse fresh bark around the gardens. Volunteers will receive a free T-shirt and appreciation barbecue. Limited equipment is available; bring your own marked tools.
Sponsors are BNBuilders, Northshore Townhomes, Northshore Utility District, Ostroms Drug & Gift, Peoples Storage and Kenmore Self Storage. For information, call the city of Kenmore at (425) 398-8900.
Bowl for a cause
with UW-B folks
The University of Washington, Bothell Bowling Club will team up with the university’s Relay for Life group for the UW-Bothell Bowl for a Cause at 5 p.m. May 4 at Kenmore Lanes. The fund-raiser will tie in with the school’s participation in the Relay for Life event May 17-18 to benefit the American Cancer Society.
Cost for the bowling event is $5 for students/staff members, $10 for guests/community members. The fee includes two games and shoes. There will be food and prizes, including one for the bowler with the most school spirit.
Northshore names five new principals
The Northshore School District has named five new principals to lead its schools. Each of the new appointments is due to retirements of principals and other district administrators.
• Angela Kerr, principal at Kokanee Elementary in Woodinville for the past eight years, will become the principal at Woodmoor Elementary in Bothell. Steve Wharton, Woodmoor’s current principal, is retiring at the end of the school year after serving Northshore students for 32 years as a principal and teacher.
• Kosal Chea has been named principal of Kokanee Elementary in Woodinville. Chea is currently an assistant principal at Samantha Smith Elementary in the Lake Washington School District.
• Marsha Moore, currently an assistant principal at Woodmoor Elementary, will be the new principal at Wellington Elementary in Woodinville. Moore has served as assistant principal at Woodmoor Elementary for three years.
• Shelley Habinecht has been appointed principal of Cottage Lake Elementary in Woodinville. Habinecht is currently principal of College Place Elementary in the Edmonds School District, where she has served for three years.
• Current Leota Junior High Assistant Principal Josh Sanchez will become the interim principal at Northshore Junior High in Bothell. Sanchez will fill in for Principal Gretchen Schaefer, who will serve as interim director of secondary education for the 2008–2009 school year, in place of Dr. Carolyn O’Keeffe. Dr. O’Keeffe was promoted to assistant superintendent for secondary education for one year due to the retirement of Eric Barnum.
All new appointments take effect July 1.