The following is a release from the City of Kenmore.
The SR 522 construction team completed the recent utility crossings! Thanks for your patience during the night work.
Over the next couple weeks, the construction team will continue working on the north side of SR 522 during the day, including:
- Forming and pouring concrete for sidewalks and driveways.
- Installing the retaining wall between 62nd and 63rd Ave NE.
What to expect:
- All work zones:
- The team will maintain local access by keeping at least one driveway entrance open at all times.
- Flaggers will direct drivers to safely access businesses.
- Work hours: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- SR 522: The team will continue forming and pouring concrete for sidewalks and driveways on the north side of SR 522 between 61st and 65th Ave NE.
- As part of the driveway prep work, the team will need to narrow driveway spaces intermittently for about two weeks, however driveway access will be maintained.
- SR 522 near 62nd Ave NE: The team will continue to install the retaining wall along the north side of SR 522 between 62nd and 63rd Ave NE near Bethany Bible Church.
- During the work, lane shifts may be necessary which will require temporary closure of the center turn lane on SR 522 intermittently between 62nd and 63rd Ave NE.
- The retaining wall work is expected to continue through the end of September.
Starting in late September, the team will begin Phase 2 work with similar amenities on the south side of SR 522 between 61st and 65th Ave NE such as:
- Improved pedestrian access including adding sidewalks and safer pedestrian crossings.
- A new traffic signal at the intersection of SR 522 and 61st Ave NE.
- A new retaining wall on SR 522 near 63rd Ave NE.
- Regrading and wall work on 61st Ave NE between SR 522 and NE 175th St.
Phase 2 work will include:
- A full closure of 61st Ave NE between SR 522 and NE 175th St beginning in October and lasting approximately 3-4 months depending on weather.
- Closure of the eastbound bus lane on SR 522 between 61st Ave NE and 65th Ave NE. The bus stop will be shifted to the west side of 61st Ave NE.
- Pedestrian access will be limited on the 61st Ave NE south leg during this time frame and transit users coming from NE 175th St may be directed to use alternate bus stops at 68th Ave NE, 73rd Ave NE Park & Ride, or Lake Forest Park.
- A pedestrian detour will direct people to the recently completed sidewalk on the north side of SR 522 at 61st Ave NE.
- The Burke-Gilman Trail will be detoured around the work zone on 61st Ave NE via NE 175th St and Log Boom Park.
Stay tuned for more details about detours and anticipated construction impacts as the work gets closer.
Keeping you informed:
The outreach team will distribute flyers to businesses and residents on the south side of SR 522 to provide more details about upcoming Phase 2 work.
Check the project website for ongoing updates and please contact us with questions.