Inglemoor High School closed on Wednesday, June 15 as a “precautionary” measure after a threatening message was posted on social media. The school will be reopened on Thursday, June 16.
The Instagram post, uploaded overnight, threatens to “waste everyone.”
King County Sheriffs Detectives are leading an investigation into the post, according to a Sheriffs Office statement put out Wednesday afternoon.
Law enforcement and district officials have been following a series of harassing posts on Instagram beginning on June 10, according to the statement.
The June 14 post included the pictures of two females and a male and read as follows:
“Me and my girls are done with life and want to put an end to all this pain and suffering we just want a simple way out but we have no choice everyone do not come to school tomorrow ima waste everyone.”
This was followed by gun emojis and ended with “good by IHS.”
A message from the school district said an unknown suspect had been stealing student’s pictures and using them in threatening Instagram posts.
The message also said police believe the threats were not credible, and closed the high school out of an abundance of caution. The threats also come only days before schools are let out for summer on Friday.
Detectives are still trying to determine who is behind the posts. The perpetrator could face serious felony charges, according to the statement.
The call to close school came after some students had already been picked up on Wednesday morning, and high school students were being transported home. Junior high students who take morning classes at IHS are being kept in their home school.
This is the second incident to close a Northshore high school in the last month. On May 19, Bothell High School went into lockdown after a student assaulted a teacher.
The district Facebook page urged anyone with information about the incident to contact Kenmore police.
King County Sheriffs Detectives will be on campus when classes resume on Thursday, June 16.