The 2018 Washington Geographic Bee was held earlier this month at Pacific Lutheran University.
There were 97 students competing in the 4th through 8th grades from schools throughout Washington. The winner, Ihsan Lishar, a 5th grade student at Spiritridge Elementary School in Bellevue received an all-expense paid trip to the 30th annual National Geographic Bee at National Geographic Society headquarters in Washington D.C., May 20 through 23.
There he will compete for a $50,000 college scholarship and a trip for two to the Galapagos Islands.
The top ten places in the 2018 Washington Geographic Bee are ranked below. There were multiple ties.
1. Ihsan Lishar of Spiritridge Elementary School’s 5th grade class in Bellevue.
2. Jacob Krell of Peace Lutheran School’s 7th grade class in Bremerton.
3. Gavrie Brewer of Shuksan Middle School’s 6th grade class in Bellingham.
4. Henry Ament of Madison Middle School’s 7th grade class in Seattle.
4. Logan Smith of Federal Way Public Academy’s 8th grade class in Federal Way.
6. Asher Villa of Northshore Middle School’s 6th grade class in Bothell.
7. Jayanth Gorrepati of Shahala Middle School’s 6th grade class of Vancouver.
8. Griffin Maes of Seattle Country Day School’s 7th grade class of Seattle.
8. Tessa Peterson of St. Catherine School’s 8th grade class of Seattle.
10. Elias Lopez of Lakeside Middle School’s 7th grade class of Seattle.